During a handling practical the H.E.R.P. brings along a series of carefully selected cold-blooded animals. We go over the proper handling of various lizards, snakes and turtles during the practical, but amphibians and arthropods can also make an appearance!
Students are given the opportunity to develop habituation in dealing with these animals and view and handle all animals up close and personal. Appropriate transport protocols and handling techniques are mentioned, as well as sex determination for each species. Everything is taught in an animal-friendly and safe environment.
The handling practicals are always given by (and under the supervision of) experienced specialists.
The general topics:
- Habituation to handling cold-blooded animals
- Handling cold-blooded species in the practice or in the field
- Handling techniques and safety protocols
- General sex determination
- Stress reduction during handling
- Appropriate capture & transport techniques
Prices for handling practicals depend entirely on the number of students attending and duration.